Week Six | Gods Waiting Room.....😇



SNAPSHOT
Have you ever heard of a town dubbed "God's Waiting Room?"....evidently it's affectionately used to describe a place whose residents have a bit more life experience than oneself?

I've heard this term twice this week! First at Tin Can Bay and then Hervey Bay.....now, at first I was horrified! What an awful description of these gorgeous places ......however upon reflection and witnessing first hand the peaceful, quiet, warm bays, with friendly and very happy people (not a vitamin d deficiency in sight) living in them,  I have come to the realisation that one day, when I find myself ready for "God's Waiting Room" that either of these two beachside beauty's would suit me perfectly fine!

WHERE ON EARTH ARE WE?

Tin Can Bay
After a relatively short drive from Cobb and Co, via Gympie, we arrived in Tin Can Bay on the central Queensland coast. "sleepy seaside town" is the perfect description for this little gem and whilst I wanted to go explore, unfortunately if I were aiming to avoid wearing pyjamas for the next week, I had to take the opportunity (begrudgingly) to catch up on washing - but we weren't just here to wash our clothes!  

Had lots of recommendations to boycott Monkey Mia dolphin feeding and to support Barnacles Dolphin Centre so at dawn the next morning we cycled down to The Marina. For $5 entry (and another $5 if you wanted to feed the dolphins) we certainly got our money's worth - the feeding sessions are run with military precision by the volunteers and they have a great knowledge of their own pod of dolphins! Such a great experience for all of us - plus the $8 cooked breakfast using our tickets at the end went a long way to sealing the deal!


If you are meandering around Tin Can Bay, a trip out to Rainbow Beach is definitely worthy.....I think? The rain was coming down and a thick fog settled by the time we got there but I'm pretty sure there was something spectacular underneath it all!


Hervey Bay
Finally after a week of rain, we have sunshine in more ways than one!! Everyone remember The Leyland Sisters from last week? Well, they just so happen to live in Hervey Bay 😜 Never one to turn down roast lamb with mini pavlovas for dessert we had a wonderful evening with the girls - their hospitality was "on-point" 😂 Thanks for my special wine glass and shawl ladies! I've called my shawl "Nola" and the girls think it's hilarious when I ask where she is or to bring her outside LOL

A small hiccup for this week was a quick GP check up for Miss Liv, a small lump had grown under her nose and we decided to get it checked out which subsequently required minor surgery! Meant another nights stay in Hervey Bay and another gorgeous evening with the girls followed by a teary goodbye......we will see you again! ❤️


Calliope River Campground
Another excellent recommendation and although packed, who can complain when it free! We seriously noted that we were in Croc Country and parked well back from the river despite the fact the last one caught in there was 15 years ago - let's face it, the odds weren't looking too good - Maggie peered hesitantly over the bridge......but she needn't have worried - not enough meat on those wee bones to interest a hungry croc but I was a bit more careful, 6 weeks of drinkie poos and nibbles at 4:30pm isn't good for the waistline and my new elasticated shorts can attest to that! 😳

Alkoomi Adventure Farm
This place is magic!! And absolutely perfect for families.....located 40km south of Rockhampton, Becc and her husband Dave bought a farm just ten minutes off the Bruce Highway and set up a farmstay.....it's the most beautiful spot and at $5 pp per night it sure beats our latest Park quote of $98 per night (grrr Airlie Beach!!!). No power or water but they do have awesome showers and horse riding or quad bike riding (I haven't heard the girls ask for a jumping pillow for a week - I must have worn them down 😂) - throw in their communal firepit, meat packs for $5 or fresh eggs for $5 and their hospitality is second the none - wish we had a week but alas far north is calling!! Thanks for having us - we will be back 👍


Great to meet the family travelling as "Gecko Tales" - hope to see you in W.A!

BEST PART vs WORST PART

🐣Liv

Best part:  Ohhh it's so hard this week! Um, definitely the beach in Hervey Bay - Maggie and I used ice cream tubs as sandpit tools and swam in the ocean - the sand was as soft as marshmallows ❤️

BUT it was also cool to learn to how to ride a motorbike at Alkoomi Adventure Farm! Bec and Dave, Chloe and Cody are soooo nice!!

AND I got to see Ruth and Nola and Monnie again - I will miss them so much 😭


Worst part: No surprises here! Having to have my moley mole taken off my face, the injection was NOT a small prick 😡 and was wayyyy MORE than a small sting! I've got 4 stitches but Dr Lewis and Carole were really nice.


🐴 Maggie

Best part: Every single bit of this week was fun, I got to tick dolphin feeding off my wish list (I wanted to swim with them but it's illegal and Mum said she didn't feel like a visit to jail today), I got to see Ruth, Nola and Monnie again - I love them 😘 AND I got to horse ride at Alkoomi.......


Worst part:
Having to leave Alkoomi - I wish we could stay forever!!!!


🏌️Leigh

Best part:  
The Harvey Bay Ladies took me out for the afternoon to play golf and it was thoroughly enjoyable! They wouldn't let me play off the ladies tee but I think I still came home with my pride intact and Nola tells me we need to move to Hervey Bay so she can have a doubles partner - I wonder how much she pays? 😂


Worst part: 
Probably the worry of Liv having a small benign tumour removed from under her nose - so much harder dealing with these things when you are away from home - thank goodness she is okay! Great job by Lewis and Carole - thanks for taking us on at short notice! 

🌺 Rana

Best part
We've travelled from Bay to Ocean to River to Outback this week and I've loved every minute of it.....

I know I've said this before but meeting such a variety of people from all over Australia and the world has been amazing - I've made a list of who we have connected with this week and where they hail from! 😂

Horse Trainer (Gympie)
Cafe Owner (Daylesford)
Marine Volunteer (Tin Can Bay)
Yachtsman (Tin Can Bay)
Youth Worker (Gold Coast)
Miner  (New Zealand)
GP and Clinic Nurse (New Zealand)
Carpenter (originally NZ now Sunshine Coast)
Truck Driver (Bendigo)
Surfer (Hervey Bay)
Farmer (Rockhampton)
Backpackers (Germany)
Tourists (Israel)

I'm sure there is more but you get the gist!


Worst part:   
The stark reality for us is that time is marching on quickly and we can't afford to fly by the seat of our pants anymore.....frustrating to say the least but we knew this was on the cards - we need to stick to our plan (and our budget!! 😱) - a few unexpected bills from home have left a large hole in our savings so belt buckles will need to be tightened for a bit! I probably need to stop waking up at 3am worrying but I can't help it 😞



SAY IT AGAIN???

Rana "Hey Leigh that dog really likes you!"

Leigh "He's only human Rana, he's only human"

Anyone think the sun has gone to his head ?? 😂

LESSONS LEARNT:

📝 By Rana......due to budget constraints we still don't have a TV / DVD and the girls have completely forgotten about it! Amazing! Apologies if this sounds ignorant but I am not missing the news nor the reports on terrorism. I figure you guys will let me know if something happens I need to know about?? Hah hah

📝  Leigh.......solar panels need cleaning to work ! 😂

📝   Leigh ......I am yet to work out the purpose of corn nor the technicalities of why it doesn't digest properly (clearly the ponderings of someone who spends lots of time at a dump point!).


NEXT DESTINATION:


Sarina, Bowen, Townsville with a day trip to Airlie Beach if possible!

 
The road thus travelled!

 
  

The picturesque Hervey Bay - we will miss you!!

 
You can take the dump point away from the boy but not the boy away from the dump point 😂

 
Alkoomi Adventure Farm! Fun for everyone! 


Can you see the "Rockadile"? 

 
My new wine glass and a shawl nicknamed "Nola" ❤️



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CUT!! And thats a wrap folks......

Round The Kookaburra 2017 | Back to Basics

Home is wherever I'm with you.....👩‍❤️‍💋‍👩